Sunday, November 23, 2003

Almost time

Folks, we're counting down the hours until Dave shows up at a real job again. So many important things to remember: no swearing, no chewing tobacco, wear socks, bathe. I hope I can retain it all.

We're running the Katie shuttle again. I just dumped her off with the Nazarenes for youth group. Joanie's been at work all day (if your day starts around noon---she bailed on church but was still home when I called after second service). I think this morning her dedication lay somewhere between the fitted and flat sheets. I only type this because I was seriously envying her earlier.

Meanwhile, I'm chilling here with the iTunes merrily playing on the stereo. Right now it's the Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like An Eagle" album. Oops. Album's over. We've segued into a recording of Steve Allen trying to do a trumpet solo while fighting a fit of laughter and now we're into some Steely Dan. This is the life.

I'm listening to this music because I can't face ironing a shirt and pants just yet. Maybe I should go for the "old, rumpled editor" look. It's a shame they don't allow smoking in businesses anymore. The O.R.E. is really a thematic presentation. I need an overflowing ash tray and several piles of paper with a crusty coffee cup (3-5 months with nary a cleaning) to really pull off the look.

The living room is coming together. Most of the furniture is in place and (can I hear the cheers?) the piano is in the foyer! It's not as if we play it, so getting it out of our main living space is a boon beyond belief.

Here's a big Christmas hint: iPod. They come in 3 flavors: 10 GB (boo, hiss), 20 GB, and 40 GB. It would have to be a group thing because they start at $300 and go to $500. But I was looking at external Firewire drives to replace the fickle Maxtor 40GB drive that goes on vacation on a whim and the Apple consultant said, "Hey, why not get an iPod?" Such a smart man. And then he told me that it works with Windows and Mac (good point no. 1), it can be used as a backup drive to restore an entire operating system (good point no. 2), and/or can hold up to 7500 songs. That's even more music than I have (good point no. 3). If it truly works with both platforms, Joan and I can put files on it to bring home, on those occasions when we need to work from home. (Kyle, are you taking notes? If you really want something badly, you MUST provide justification!) Not only that, but it is roughly the size of a credit card, is faster than the Maxtor drive I must replace, and weighs approximately the same as 2 compact discs. It has a 25-minute skip-free memory. That means if you are walking or jogging (get real!), you'd have to seriously jar the unit for 25 continuous minutes before it would skip on a song. Thus, it can be plugged into a car's cassette deck and used to play music while traveling. Is that cool or what!? With the 20GB or 40GB models, Apple (or CompUSA, I'm not clear on whom) will throw in $120 of accessories. The time is ripe for the Apple (hideous pun gleefully intended).

It would be a great joint gift, family. Just let me know what I need to do. Will grovel for goodies.

Love to all, Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home