Saturday, December 20, 2003

Da Big Apple

Today started way too early. Four a.m., if I recall correctly. It seems so long ago. We had to catch an early train to New York City. Dawn and Roger, dear friends from England, are finishing a week's vacation and we went to spend the day with them.

I thought getting to the train station was a challenge. We made it, but barely, Still that paled in comparison to the challenge of finding two people in New York's Penn Station. What were we thinking? Finally, we met and Joan and Dawn settled down to walking and talking. We left Penn Station and headed for Manhattan Mall--simply because it was on the way and we seemed to have no direction--then we went to Macy's. I made a strategic blunder in Macy's. For some reason we got on an elevator going up and I got off on the eighth floor. This provided the ladies ample opportunity to browse ALL the way down to the first floor.

I believe I mentioned walking and talking. For some reason, Roger and I set a quicker pace than Joan and Dawn. Katie was very good about keeping up with us. I have no idea what the other two were talking about, but when Roger, Katie and I crossed the street, Joan and Dawn continued walking, talking, and gesturing animatedly. They were completely involved in conversation. They were also walking further and further from us with each word and step. We shadowed them from across the street for four blocks. City blocks. They finally stopped and looked around for us. Thank goodness. Reunited, we stopped for a cup of coffee.

We hadn't much time, so we visited Rockefeller Center, Ground Zero, a sports shop, and a pub. That covered everybody's needs but my desire to visit a book store. But like I said, we hadn't much time. I've rarely visited a good book store quickly.

After some ales and some french fries with roasted garlic cloves and fresh rosemary (I'm not making this up. It's good. Try it.), we headed back to Penn Station. Roger, with his unfailing sense of direction, kept us on the right paths throughout the day. Such a quick trip, but what a pleasure to see dear friends again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home