Monday, December 08, 2003

Doctor Nodrive

We took my father-in-law to the doctor today to find out whether he should continue to drive. The verdict is in. It is negative.

I hope I have my father-in-law's equanimity when I grow up. As we sat in the waiting room he was talking to the staff and doing everything he could think of to endear himself to the people who might influence the outcome of this decision. As he spoke one could see the importance to him of a postive outcome. At stake was his independence. For over forty years he has been able to get in his vehicle and drive the ten miles to the nearest town at a whim. Now he must depend on the availability of family or friends to do the things that were simple tasks not long ago. His hopes were high.

When we spoke with the doctor, she told him that it was best for his own safety and for the safety of other travellers if he did not drive. As he looked around the room he saw those closest to him nodding in assent. I can only imagine that seeing unanimous agreement felt like betrayal, but he seemed to accept it well. As we left to drive home he said, "That's okay. I don't have to get my way all the time." That's the sort of peace and acceptance that I have yet to develop. He is quite a man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home