Monday, November 10, 2003

The Heat is On ... no Off ... no On.

Some very strange noises began emanating from our basement. That's not so unusual. Everybody knows there are creepy things in the basement. And the fact that we're all alive is testimony to our intelligence. We don't need to see the creepy things, just hearing them is enough. But this creepy thing in our basement made a noise suspiciously similar to metal rubbing against metal. And that only sounds proper at a demolition derby. It sounds very improper within the confines of one's utility room. So we called the experts.

The experts had been here on Sunday. They'd done some expert stuff and then left. Well, this is a new, thinner expert who does not smell of cigarette smoke and seems to know what he's doing. Somehow, his story goes, the blower assembly came apart. The motor was going and the doohicky (*my word, not his) was rubbing against the thingy (*ibid.) and making a noise like two cats doing whatever it is that two cats do when they make that noise. You know. THAT noise. So it's nearing 10:30 and weve been hearing ratchetings, and clinkings, and bangings, and, surprisingly, very little creative treatment of the King's english. That's why I think he's competent. I know what I'd be saying if I had MY head in that dirty old furnace and things weren't going according to plan.

So that's our story. Things seems to be progressing nicely and we hope to have heat moving smoothly through the ductwork again in a very short time. Which is about the length of time I'll probably have to sleep. Because I'm almost certain to get another call from the road around 7:30 tomorrow morning either reminding me of something so important it can't wait until somebody gets to work, or for my own good because it is slothful to sleep in, or for God only know what other reason. My suspicion is that it chafes to see somebody at rest when one knows that option does not exist in one's present reality. But it feels good to interrupt such an idyllic state. But I could be wrong. If so, she'll let me know. :-)

dlc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home