Wednesday, December 31, 2003

What's Happening

It's been a quiet week here at Lake Theybegone. On Saturday morning I took off with friends to visit the poor, sick and needy. It's a holiday thing. Very biblical. We figured those who could most benefit from our attention would be found at Maryland's last Music-Go-Round, a home for formerly loved musical instruments and equipment, and at Guitar Center. We were correct. The guy at Music-Go-Round was very lonely. And his stock selection wasn't so different from the carcass of a Christmas turkey in a home with five teenage boys. It seemed to be pretty well picked over.

Now, speaking of illness. The staff at Guitar Center was suffering from PoorRiff-eral vision. That's the look one gets as one's focus narrows until it centers on the end of one's nose. Look in the mirror as you try it. Yes. That's the look. It's brought on by an aging rocker coming in and plugging a high-dollar guitar into an expensive Mesa Boogie amp and shouting at his friends about the pro's and con's of the equipment as he plays. Noisily. Yep. There's a certain amount of sainthood inherent in music store employees.

The good news is that we were able to stimulate the economy and leave while that guy was still playing. I was looking for a bass amp that I could use to practice at home. My amp has been a part of the church sound system for the past few months. I found one. An Ampeg. I've wanted one ever since I heard a friend, Patrick Higgins, play through an Ampeg setup where we used to go to church. Ampegs have LOTS of bottom. That seems to be lacking in my SWR, but that may be because we can't really crank it at church.

I may have to take this amp back though. When the treble and mid knobs are kicked up it hisses a lot. I'm not sure whether that's just the way things are or if a different amp would be more quiet.

And speaking of quiet. The girls took off for Indiana that same day we took off for Towson and Cockeysville. They've been out with my sister and her kids visiting MY parents. What's wrong with this picture? Meanwhile, I have been feeding a dog I don't even own. Some nights I'm even awakening as he does a dervish dance trying to get in touch with his alter ego.

There's a ferocious puppy with a thick ridge of hair along his spine who tries to emerge whenever Coby is eating or feeling lonely. Since he spends a lot of time either alone or in search of food, we see this side more than we'd like to. It's like he's channelling Cujo, except he really only tries to bite himself when he's in these altered states. Last night, I was awakened at 2am and again at 4:15am. Yeah. I thought so too. When that dog set eyes on the light of day this morning, it wasn't because I wanted him to.

I overslept after that, getting into work after 8. That's LONG after the 6am arrival I intended. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I will go in tomorrow and make up a couple of hours. I'm not a big fan of parades or football games, so it's no great loss. Then I will meet Danny at church and we'll play some music before band practice. It should be a nice day.

Friday the girls start their trip home. Since they are travelling with my sister, "Non-stop" Trebilcock, they should make very good time. It's been quiet here. I'll be glad to have them home.

Happy New Year, everybody.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home