Thursday, November 06, 2003

Why is there rain?

I know there must be some good reasons for rain. We all know the ones about making the flowers and crops grow. And I love the green grass laying like a velvet carpet, at least in other people's lawns. Our velvet is more like rough suede, what with the weeds and all. But ours is green too, so there. But there's something about a rainy day that bothers both me and the late Karen Carpenter. That and Mondays, I suppose. It could be the pall that doesn't seem to lift all day. But that is sometimes balanced by a sunshower. I love those. Water drops falling while sunbeams light them like little shards of crystal gently cascading to dance on leaves and branches. It could be the seeming weight of the day, but that too is balanced. There is a special sound that attends a rainy day. It's almost as if the world becomes a recording studio. The sound is almost artificial in that there is an absence of noises that we daily hear and take for granted. And colors. Colors seem more rich on rainy days. God seems to take the intensity knob and turn it up a notch. Now I'm not saying God's doing shoddy work. I just don't want to go there. But there are still days I much prefer to the rainy ones. If, however, it comes down to not having a day at all, then this one will do quite nicely, thank you very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home