Monday, December 01, 2003

I Got it Good, and That Ain't Bad/Watch that Worm Roll Over!

This morning I got into work at 6:15. Following my first of several cups of coffee, I came back to the table at which I am residing and glanced out the window. I was impressed first by the colors of dawn striping the sky. One band rested at the eastern horizon. Another distinct band colored the sky above it. Between, morning clouds of bluish grey provided a stunning contrast.

When I got over that, I paused to think about this table, one of two set into an alcove with four bookshelves and referred to as "the library." It is really something of a coup. I've just started working here and I already have a window office. Some people strive years for this. I'm missing certain elements: a door, some walls, a computer, a desk with drawers, filing cabinets, and a defined telephone extension. But I have two tables, eleven side chairs, four bookcases, and even two plants. They are silk plants, my favorite type. More importantly, I have six beautiful windows, the elusive prize of the corporate organizational pecking order. Ahh, the life.

Later ...

Victory is so fleeting. My manager just informed me she is interceding to get me access to a computer in the conference room on the first floor. It's a very nice room with one table, many chairs, at least four computers, four walls, a real door, and not a single window. It sounds remarkably like some of those "basement" rooms we heard about in those English castles. I'll let you know if I seen any nice bracelet sets attached to the walls.

Still later ...

I have a roommate. He seems nice and he sits across the table from me. We surreptitiously stare at one another throughout the day. I asked him about the work is doing. I specifically asked him to describe it in a nutshell. He's probably due for new batteries in his Beltones because he obviously heard, "in detail." I had little better to do, so the explanation was enlightening and even interesting. And I think he will do well in his job. Then Joan appeared like a genie at my right elbow and told me that Katie had called. She missed the bus and was stranded at school. It turned out to be the corporate social equivalent of, "Oh my gosh! Look at the time." I took the announcement for an exit strategy, packed my things, and left work for the day. Now Katie is upstairs feeling puny, I'm about to cancel horse riding for this evening, and I'm trying to figure out how many mornings I can get up before 5:30 without expiring. I think my bedtime is going to creep a little closer to my dinner time if you know what I mean.

By the way, I was just having fun at my colleague's expense. He really is nice, sharp, and his zeal for his area of expertise is admirable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home