Saturday, May 07, 2005

New Tunes

I was able to take off a couple of hours early yesterday, so I asked Pookums what she wanted to do. We stopped at Hecht's and got warpaint for the big doin's tonight (see Tonight's the Night, below), then got to her place of choice--CD Warehouse. Shades of Proverbs 22:6. Somehow, we emerged with she having spent nothing and me having compensated for her lack of commerce. Three movies and four CDs later ... well, at least we got one for free because we're in "the club" and hit the required threshold.

Now on the shelf at the Coal Bear Cinema: Bringing Down the House, Pirates of the Caribbean, and X-Men 2. And in the CD player? Brian Wilson "Gettin' In Over My Head," Brian Wilson "Smile," Michael Franks "Blue Pacific," and Medeski, Martin, and Wood "Dropper."

I was surprised how little the Brian Wilson sound has changed over the years. In general, I don't care for it. That's why I bought two, you ask? Well, yes. In general, I don't care for it. But in specific it is a trove of lessons in harmony and progression.

I think it's the lyrics that don't do it for me in the later work. For the earlier, the trite "Oh, that was the 60s" explains much without having to say more. I really like the Smile. Not something I'd often listen to at one sitting, but like a classical score, you get tantalizing hints throughout that foreshadow or reprise a theme. And it all comes together on "Good Vibrations." As for Mr. Franks, he makes Mrs. C.'s eyes twinkle. 'Nuff said. Medeski, Martin, and Wood are something else altogether. They are a blend of jazz, world music, and jam band. More to the point, they are musicians. Some is too out there for me, but I love listening to hear how the bass weaves into it all and pulls it together. I felt guilty subjecting Princess to all this last night as we sat in the parking lot outside Tar-Jee, but today I'm ready to crank it up and dive back in for another listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home