Monday, July 26, 2004

Thanksgiving Day and day after

Buried Treasure

I just found this post from Mom squirreled away in the drafts folder. Go, Mom!

Sat. morn
I swore I wouldn't write another thing on this but here I am trying to do the motherly duty of keeping her brood informed of the "other generation". Thanksgiving Day at church didn't turn out as expected but there must be a blessing in it somewhere. I'm still searching for it. We had prepared to serve 200 and hopefully more from 11-1 pm. The volunteers were busy mashing potatoes, slicing mountains of turkey, stirring gravy, cutting pies, etc.... you get the picture! Anticipation of sharing was on many hearts and in the eyes of every person in that room. Eleven o'clock arrived but no lonely or needy soul showed up. Fifteen minutes later three elderly ladies, members of our church arrived. By noon we might have had 25 folks. By closing time at 1 pm we probably had served fifty people plus the 50 volunteers. Sooo, we threw away some mashed potatoes, covered mountains of turkey and put it in the fridge, threw some turkey in leftover gravy (and put in fridge), sent leftover pies home with anyone that would take them. BTW, we had approximately 20 pies that weren't even cut!! To make a long story short we are serving leftovers to the church congregation tomorrow. I hope they stay.

Dad and Jim went up north yesterday to a cattle sale so I did some Christmas shopping. It was nice not having any crowds plus a wonderful selection plus the ease of comparison pricing. Goodbye malls, hello internet!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Also yesterday I had several visitors to the treehouse. Joann, Lacy, and Hannah came from Evansville. Hannah's parting words to her gramma as they left were "I want a treehouse." My friend, Carole, brought all her KY relatives over and they loved it. I had just made some brownies so we enjoyed hot chocolate and warm brownies. If the temperature isn't below 35 or so it stays comfortable with a couple small space heaters going. There are new pictures on Webshots if you are interested.

Have to close and go work on church float for tonight's parade. Will be in touch by phone. Sure more comfortable with that means of keeping in touch.

Love
Mom or Mamaw